Permitting Information

Prior to doing any tree removal, grading or construction a property owner should contact the Department of Planning and Zoning, Permits Office to gather information on the permit process specific to the work to be done.  The Permits office can be reached at 410-758-4088 and is located at 110 Vincit Street, Suite 104 in Centreville Maryland.

You may also click this link to visit their website:   QAC Permitting Information

Basic Steps to Build a New Home on a Vacant Lot Located in Southern Kent Island

Determine if the property is in the Critical Area.  The Critical Area is all lands within 1,000 feet of tidal waters.  Within the Critical Area there are mitigation requirements for tree removal and limits on lot coverage.  Contact the Permits Office for assistance.

Determine if the property is in the Floodplain.  Within the floodplain specific construction and elevation requirements must be met to limit a property’s exposure to 100-year flood events. Contact the Department of Public Works (DPW) for assistance.

Locate any wetlands on the property.  Determine if there are any nontidal wetlands on the property and if they will be impacted by the proposed construction.  Maryland Department of the Environment (MDE) regulates nontidal wetlands and any impact within 25 feet of a nontidal wetland.   MDE may visit the site for an initial assessment to identify if wetlands exist.   If wetlands exist on the property you may be required to hire an environmental consultant to delineate the location.  If disturbance of nontidal wetlands and 25 foot buffer cannot be avoided, a permit from MDE will be required. Refer to this link for additional information: MDE- Wetlands and Waterways Program

Obtain a County permit to remove trees.  If trees must be removed for construction of a home in advance of applying for a grading or building permit you will need a permit to remove the trees.  Tree removal can also be addressed in conjunction with a grading permit or building permit.     Different regulations apply for tree removal depending if the property is inside or outside of the Critical Area. Tree replacement or payment of a mitigation fee is required for tree removal in the critical area.

Review drainage. A property owner and the home builder need to determine how water runs off the property prior to construction and plan how it will after construction.  Planning for the proper grading and the placement of fill is important so run off will not impact or cause flooding on an adjacent parcel.  To this end, builders are instructed to provide positive drainage and establish swales as appropriate to prevent the displacement of water to adjacent properties.  The Department of Public Works may require a detailed engineered plan to insure that drainage is properly addressed.   Preliminary consultation with DPW is recommended.

Obtain a County grading permit.  If more than 5,000 square feet of land is disturbed for construction you will need a grading permit (also known as a Sediment & Erosion Control Permit).  A grading permit is the time to implement practices for proper drainage of the property therefore a detailed grading and stormwater management plan must be submitted and approved prior to release of grading permit.

Apply and obtain a County Building Permit. The reference document on this web page (ADD Link here) outlines the process for submitting building permits.  Some important point to keep in mind relating to the building permit process:

  • An owner in conjunction with the builder will need to select licensed subcontractors for work related to electrical, plumbing, mechanical, gas, sprinklers, well, and STEP tank instillation. These contractors will need to be listed on the building permit.  These subcontractors will need to obtain specific permits for their work prior to a building permit being issued.
  • Residential sprinklers are required in all new homes or substantial renovations  
  • There are required inspections during the construction process. The builder and subcontractors need to coordinate these inspections with the appropriate agency as work is completed.  All required inspections must be completed to obtain a Certificate of Occupancy allowing a home to be occupied as a residence.
  • Purchase of Sewer Allocation from the Queen Anne’s County Sanitary District is required to obtain a building permit.
  • An owner must sign an easement to the County allowing the Sanitary District to perform maintenance and repairs of the STEP tank and lines as necessary.
  • Building permit and inspection fees are required at time of application.
  • County Impact Fees are due at time of building permit application or can be deferred up to 18 months or the issuance of a Certificate of Occupancy whichever is first. The impact fee is based on the square footage of the home.
  • A driveway entrance permit is done as part of a building permit for a new home.

Obtain a Certificate of Occupancy.  A home may not be occupied as a residence until a Certificate of Occupancy is issued to the owner.

State & County Permitting and Review Agencies

Different State and County Department have a role in reviewing and approving permits and construction.  These Departments my also conduct inspection to insure work is done consistent with approved permits.

Sanitary District

  • Purchase of Sewer Allocation for new home
  • Inspection of STEP tanks and connections during home construction

310 Bateau Drive – Stevensville, MD 21666

Phone: 410-643-3535 Fax 410-643-7364

Department of Public Works   

  • Driveway entrance permits
  • Storm water management review and inspections
  • Floodplain review and inspections

312 Safety Drive – Centreville, MD 21617

Phone: 410-758-0920  Fax: 410-758-3341

Environmental Health  

  • Permit & inspection of on lot wells
  • Water testing
  • Plumbing permits,
  • Mechanical permits
  • Natural gas & propane permits & inspections

208 N. Commerce St – Centreville, MD 21617

Phone: 410-758-2281  Fax: 410-758-6602

Office of the Fire Marshal   

  • Residential sprinkler review & inspection (new homes and substantial renovations)
  • Home occupation reviews & inspections 

100 Communications Drive – Centreville, MD 21617

Phone:  410-758-4500 ext 1144   Fax:410-758-2086

Maryland Department of the Environment

  • Approving tidal and nontidal wetland delineations
  • Impacts to nontidal wetlands and 25 foot buffer- permitting and inspections
  • Shoreline improvements
  • Pier permit (impact to tidal wetlands)

MDE Contact info

Queen Anne’s Soil Conservation District

  • Single lot sediment control plans
  • Any disturbance over 5,000 or more sq ft.

211 East Water Street Centreville, MD 21617

Phone: 410-758-3136  Fax: 410-758-3820

Helpful forms:



Residential Assistance Bulletin




%d bloggers like this: